What We Do
BALLET Pre-Primary – Advance Level
- To educate by providing a progressive awareness of the culture and technique of Classical Ballet through a graded programme of training and assessment
- To provide a form of physical training that is safe, working both sides of the body evenly, alongside the development of artistic and musical appreciation
- To provide a structured examination system that can be followed by children who are studying Classical Ballet primarily as a recreational pursuit. However, this does not preclude the child who wishes to progress to vocational training in Classical Ballet and other theatrical dance forms
- A sense of performance which incorporates a suitable awareness of style and expression
- Use of space in relation to the other members of the group and the dance area available
- Rhythmic awareness and a suitable interpretation of the musical qualities
- Correct alignment and placing of the body to the best of the individual physical facility
- Appropriate use of limbs, with an understanding of the purpose of each exercise, thus developing motor skills
- Sense of line and co-ordination of movement
- An appreciation of artistry, both in own movement and that of others
- Consideration and respect
- Creativity within a disciplined environment Praise Academy offer graded Ballet Exams from Pre-Primary- Advance Level through ISTD (Imperial Society of Teachers and Dancers)
Children’s Theatre Workshop
This will be an introduction to theatre – concepts, terminology, and experience. It will also explore ways to use theatre arts as an enhancement of children’s development, education, expression and recreation. We will use movement, vocal exercises, improvisation, script writing and scripted material to increase knowledge of and comfort with theatre for children.
CXC Theatre Arts (Dance Option)
Theatre Arts Syllabus is organised to be taught and experienced under three main principles: Appreciating and Analysing, Creating and Performing. The Theatre Arts Syllabus has been designed to provide experiences that enable students to appreciate, create and communicate theatrical events with their minds as well as their senses, emotions and their bodies, thereby fostering self- confidence, self-discipline and self-motivation.
The Theatre Arts Syllabus is made up of a Compulsory Core, THREE Options
and TWO Projects.
CAPE PERFORMING ARTS
The Performing Arts is a critical component in the expansion of our experience and consciousness of the world in which we live. It plays a vital role in the formation of cultural identity in the development of a Caribbean aesthetic.
The syllabus comprises Units on Business for the Arts, Cinematic Arts, Dance, Drama, and Music. It focuses primarily on Product Development and Management, the histories of the various performing arts, Performance and Production as well as Techniques and Skills that will encourage and enhance an appreciation for the cultural diversity of the region.
Acquired techniques and skills in financing, marketing, research, design, application of artistic as well as technical theories, production and performance will provide students with an informed knowledge base to encourage growth in all spheres of artistic endeavour as well as exposing them to the range of possibilities of the varied career choices for the world of work as well as for further education and training.
DANCE MINISTRY DEGREE
To teach and train Christian Dancers in the biblical and practical technique of dance, as well as preparing them to be able to lead a Christian Dance Ministry. We are passionate about equipping our dance students to be equally excellent in their craft as well as a Christlike example in the dance industry, both inside and outside the Church.
Praise Academy will offer students training in ballet, musical theatre, jazz, modern, choreography, dance ministry, biblical foundation of dance, elements of theatre in a dance production, business and marketing technique for your dance ministry.
Practical involvement in choreography and ministry.
- To learn the rules, fundamentals, skills and strategies of learning how to do gymnastics.
- To learn how to correctly execute required skills and techniques as well as to use the equipment/facilities
- To improve physical fitness, flexibility, balance through gymnastics and conditioning.
- Help children develop physical coordination and motor skills.
- Teach children how to properly use their balance and develop a good sense of precision and timing.
- Teach children listening skills, how to follow directions, how to take turns,
- Teach children respect for others, and how to participate in a group.
There are three jazz awards, Bronze, Silver and Gold designed to promote an appreciation and enjoyment of jazz dance, through both understanding and performance.
The syllabus seeks to develop the skill and understanding of jazz dance by developing the physical ability to communicate through movement in an expressive and artistic way.
Students are examined at each level by ISTD (Imperial Society of Teachers & Dancers).
MODERN Dance Classes Grades 1- Advance
- Teach correct posture
- Develop the range of movement within the students’ natural capabilities
- Build a sound technique
- Promote the understanding and use of dance terminology
- Gain a good sense of self-expression
- Encourage creative movement
- Promote self-confidence in the performance of a solo
There are practical examinations given which are provided through ISTD (Imperial Society of Teachers & Dancers). The aim of the ISTD Graded Examinations is to provide an assessment scheme for dance, which gives the basis for the measurement of the individual candidate’s progress and development, whether the candidate is pursuing dance as a leisure activity or as preparation for a professional career as a dance teacher or performer.
Rhythm & Movement
Rhythm & Movement offers dancers a space for exploration, improvisation, and expression through movement. Children continue to develop large and fine motor skills, as well as coordination, rhythm, teamwork, and listening skills. The genres of dance used are Caribbean Folk, African, Hip-Hop.